Ajudua dying in prison

  • Tuesday, March 29, 2005 - By ADESINA AIYEKOTI
  • Viewed 577 Times
  • Decrease Text Size Increase Text Size
  • Rating: by 0 users
Barely one year after the death of a Federal legislator, Chief Morris Ibekwe who died in the government custody over allegations of fraud, another detainee, Chief Fred Ajudua, is seriously ill at the Lagos University Teaching Hospital, battling with kidney-related ailment.

Daily Sun investigation revealed that the illness of the Lagos-based lawyer and businessman, worsened recently that the management of LUTH had to refer him to a private hospital, St. Nicholas Hospital, Lagos for a second medical opinion.
Doctors in the hospital re-confirmed that Ajudua’s left kidney had collapsed and not functioning.

The St. Nicholas report dated February 28, 2005 and signed by a Consultant Hephrologist, Dr E. L. Bamgboye said the detainee (Ajudua) had had his "Atrophic" collapsed and "nonfunctioning" left kidney.

Following this development, it was also gathered that Ajudua and members of his family have been worried about his condition as they have been making moves to get a kidney donor.
The family of Ajudua were said to have been running helter skelter to save the life of the accused so that he would not end his life in prison custody as his former co-detainee, Morris Ibekwe.
Ajudua and one Charles Orie are being tried for their alleged roles in a scam in which a German, Remy Cima allegedly lost $1.6 million.

Following the application for bail filed by Ajudua’s counsel, Richard Ahonarugo, anchored on the state of health of his client, Ajudua was on February 4, this year granted bail by an Ikeja High Court judge, Justice Joseph Oyewole, but efforts to release him from detention in the interim has been put on hold.

The bail process, was almost completed before the Chief Registrar was said to have been halted on an instruction "from above.
Economic and Financial Crimes

Commission (EFCC), was also said to have challenged the authenticity of the medical report on which the trial judge based his ruling.
However, the family of Ajudua are alleging that the refusal to allow the accused to perfect his bail conditions was to ensure that "he dies in prison custody and suffer the same fate like Morris Ibekwe.
Justice Oyewole had granted the accused bail in the sum of N50 million and two sureties in the sum of N25 million each.

One of the sureties, the court held, must be a blood relation of Ajudua, while the two of them must swear to affidavit of means showing their traceable address and where they are working.

Ajudua was moved to the Lagos University Teaching Hospital by the Kirikiri prison officials when it became apparent that the prison clinic could not take care of his ailment.

Related Articles:

No Related Content Found

Top News Stories

  • Add Comment

Submit Your Comment
Your Name :

Your E-mail :

Your Comment :

Related Tags :